Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cinco de Mayo Dinner @ Chai's Island Bistro


A couple of friends and I wanted to stay away from the crowds of tequila drinking and Cinco de Mayo celebrating crazy people, so we had dinner at Chai's Island Bistro. I had not been there since they opened several years ago, so it was like being there for the first time.


Tuesday nights entertainment is Robert Cazimero, my good friend, and my pet name for him is "Ring". I am "Ning". That is a whole other story. So that is great in it self.


I always thought it was Thai cuisine, but I was corrected, it is Asian Fusion - same thing!!! I started my meal with a Margarita on the rocks with no salt - okay I had to have something Mexican because of the day. It was very good and our waiter was very attentive.


For a starter, we all shared a combo appetizer platter - shrimp with kataifi, crab cakes and seared ahi. All good, but your usual island flare. Nothing really tickled my taste buds. Then I had the Smoked Duck Breast Carpaccio Salad with Tangerine Vinaigrette, which I enjoyed because of the fresh island greens and vinaigrette - very light and refreshing.


For my entree, I had the Chilean Sea Bass w/ Lobster Cream Sauce on a bed of butternut squash & zucchini linguine and listed on the menu as a good low carb selection. The bass was seared crispy with little seasoning on a bed of the shredded squash mixture (like spaghetti) in a bath of lobster sauce with coconut milk and butter (it listed it as cream, but it tasted like coconut milk and butter). It was so light and decedent at the same time. Oh my, it was delicious. I am going to try to recreate it at home. The lobster was not that evident, but that was okay because the combination of the fresh bass, crispy bass and the sauce and vegetables, was perfectly matched. I believe there was some red curry in that sauce. I would go back to have it again.


I went on their website and they have daily coupons for you to use on your visits...you need to check it out.


Overall Rating - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment